Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Grass from sisal

Heyho,



today I want to present a small tip to make realistic looking grass. There is nothing wrong if you use professional products like grass from MiniNatur or others but self-made grass is just cooler :).

Here we go...

...get a string of sisal or hemp

and use some sort of brush to bring the string into form. I used a steel brush

Cut the sisal to a usable length. My pieces were about 5 cm long. Keep in mind that they should be longer than needed. You will be the hair stylist that cuts them to the needed length after you applied them to the base.

Use some cheap acrylic paints mainly in brown and green hues to paint the sisal.


I dried the grass inside my microwave oven. The grass becomes a little bit more rigid than the initial sisal. Which is great in my opinion because you can bend the grass in the needed direction (wind direction for example).


I added an image of my grass and the professional grass produced by MiniNatur for comparison.


Here you can see some tests


and the final application on the base of Falkar.


Grumbler

Post a Comment

10 comments:

Raffa March 3, 2010 at 2:24 PM  

Very nice, thanks for the tutorial!

Mati March 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

That's fraggin sweet, incredible what else hemp is useful for...
keep it up you are rocking the brush.

cheers Mati

Anonymous March 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

where the hell to you get hemp from?

Grumbler March 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

Hey,

usually arts and crafts supply stores have hemp strings. Not every kind of hemp is illegal ;-).

Grumbler

Anonymous March 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

awesome.. Thanks man... you blog is very cool btw... I can not seam to find the RSS button so I can add it to my rss watching thing.

Grumbler March 3, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

Hm,

I never used RSS feeds, so I have to figure out how a RSS feed could be included in blogger.com

Grumbler

Grumbler March 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Thanks for the emails regarding the rss-feed. It seems that you simply have to surf to http://chromaticstimulus.blogspot.com/rss.xml to subscribe to the rss-feed.

Grumbler

Roman aka jar March 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM  

Wonderful write up and great information included! Thanks for your time you did put in! Cool stuff...

Anonymous August 11, 2011 at 4:51 PM  

I have been keen on getting some weeds on the urban bases of my marine army, miniNatur was looking to be my choice of grass but now that you've shown me this, I'll be trying out all different methods.
-sandeep

Anonymous January 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM  

Is it possible to run static electricity through the fibers to make them into static grass and do you know how?

Labels

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP